As rare and pure breed poultry breeders in our own right, all 4 branch farms have signed the Rare Breeds Survival Trust pledge. This is our commitment to helping protect breeds from extinction and to supporting the “The Five Freedoms”, which ensures our birds have a good life and a life worth living.
The five freedoms are:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to water and a diet to maintain health & vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease: by prevention or rapid diagnosis & treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities & appropriate company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions & treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Some examples of our rare breeds
Top left: Cayuga ducks, Scotland/North/Midlands branch farm
Top right: Cream Legbar chickens, East branch farm
Bottom left: Indian Game chickens, South West branch farm
Bottom right: Silver Appleyard ducks, London/South East branch farm
Blog Thumbnail (birds in the snow): Pilgrim Geese, South West branch farm